Hello to all of you!
It’s almost June. Yes, we have had a wet spring but have you seen how the flowering trees have bloomed this year! They are phenomenal. My azalea shrub out front is a brilliant red. I think we are going to have a great summer.
So, what has happened since our last newsletter?
1. Annual Meeting Weekend
We had a successful education weekend thanks to Julie Goodwin from AZ who taught Ethics and In Safe Hands. We had the pleasure of having Julie join us for dinner on Saturday night. Such a nice person and so educated!
There were awards!
President’s Award went to Ana Garcia, Executive Director for the various boards on the Department of Professional Licensure (DPL) including the MA Board of Massage. She has been incredibly helpful to the massage therapists in MA and with our Chapter. She is always there to help. “It always seems impossible until it's done.” Nelson Mandela
Meritorious Award went to Katie Adams for all that she has done with our Chapter and for massage therapy. She has worked with the Pan Mass Challenge for years. Kristen presented the award, which included many testimonials from the chapter board and committee chairs. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” Helen Keller
Humanitarian Award went to Jennifer Savage who recognizes that we all have stressful lives and massage is a way of managing the effects of stress. Jennifer volunteers at the Marshfield Disabled American Veterans Chapter 35 every other Tuesday to provide therapeutic massage services. She paired with a woman and started an equine therapy program for the Veterans where she will be on site to provide massage to those who are nervous about being near the horses. Jennifer works on anywhere between 5-7 Veterans and will simply hold space for them. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” Maya Angelou
Volunteer of the Year went to Cynthia Sykes for being the Massage Event Coordinator for the Best Buddies Challenge, Sea Otter Classic & MS Cape Cod Get Away. She has had a solo massage practice for years and has been a Delegate to the National Convention twice. In 2004, she was our Humanitarian Award winner. She loves massage and knitting! "I can no other answer make but thanks, and thanks; and ever thanks." William Shakespeare
If you know someone who you think deserves an award, get in touch with us – even if that person is you!
Financial Administrator – Roxanne Cunningham
Board Member – Patty Jaworski
Delegate (one-year term) - Gordon Pilotte
Delegate (two-year term) - Sarah Ernst-Edwards
Next year we will be electing a new President, Board Member, and Secretary
3. Dianne Polseno Scholarship
- Ana Garcia and Saskia Cote (MA Massage Board Chair)
- Michael Sandman from SCORE
- Mark Molloy - Chapter Lobbyist
- All of our Committee Chairs spoke too
5. Complimentary Lunch (that always deserves some recognition!)
- Massage Envy for their sponsorship of the Dianne Polseno Scholarship 1st Place Winner
- Performance Health and Soothe for their co-sponsorship of our Meritorious Award Winner
- MassageWarehouse.com for the face cradle covers
7. The DPL was in attendance to assist members with getting their online profiles up and running for future online e-licensing renewals.
- Ana Garcia, Executive Director at various boards DPL
- Denise Quintiliani, Office Support Specialist. DPL
- Leija Meadows who works with the online portal
That’s the summary of our Annual Meeting. Click here for the meeting notes. We look forward to seeing you next year. If you want to get involved just contact us! The best way is to reach out to our Membership Chair, Tonya Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here's what's coming down the pipeline in 2019!
Chapter CE Classes
- Joseph Musolino’s COMT (Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapy) Low back and Pelvis. September 14-15 in Springfield, MA. Click here for class details and to register.
- National AMTA’s Fundamentals of Fascial Therapy on December 8 in Quincy, MA. Click here for class details and to register.
- National AMTA Convention is in Indianapolis, IN on October 24-26, 2019. Click here for convention details and to register.
The MA Senate is still looking at the bill. They will probably address it in the fall. Your lobbyist and Chapter Law & Legislation Committee is following this closely. In fact, a few of us are planning to meet with the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection soon.
The Cannabis Commission is still reviewing what the regulations should be for massage therapists.
We currently have over 3000 members in the AMTA-MA Chapter. THANK YOU!!!
Tonya Brooks is setting up connections throughout MA. If you would like to be a contact person for your area of MA, please contact her at email@example.com.
International Massage Therapy Research Conference (IMTRC) was just held.
Roxanne Cunningham attended the conference. We will see her summary in our August newsletter. So much is going on with research in massage therapy.
National AMTA Elections
- President - Christopher Deery
- President Elect - Angela Barker
- Immediate Past President - Joan Nichols
Term of Office: March 1, 2019 - February 29, 2020
National Board of Directors
- Steve Albertson
- Christine Bailor-Goodlander
- Michaele Colizza
- Robert C. Jantsch
- Kimberly Kane-Santos
- Patty Phillips
- Scott Raymond
- LaDonna Ward
- Ed Sansbury
I think that’s it for now. We had a great 2018 and we are having a great 2019! As I always mention, the AMTA-MA Chapter is in existence for our members. Please let us know how we have helped you and how we can help you. It is such a pleasure being the president of this Chapter.
AMTA-MA Chapter President